New site (and a brief history of how COMMISSIONED has grown… site wise)on May 22, 2009 at 9:16 am
At first, the comic worked in simple html, with me updating it manually. As it grew, I started using Walrus, a rather simple PHP code that allows you to handle a webcomic with little fuss and without the need of a database. I still recommend it to anybody that’s new at this whole webcomic deal and needs an easy, user-friendly way to start. After a while of using it and with the webcomic growing , I decided I wanted a bunch of extra functions.
From there, a friend named Luke offered to program and admin the site, which brought better archives, comments and even the possibility to make blog posts. And after a year of working like that, I finally made the complete transition to blog format. The blog worked perfectly, but the comic kept growing and after a while the server simply couldn’t handle it. The site had to taken down and things were looking pretty bleak, but fortunately we got some help from our friends at MLStudio and they host the site now.
For starters, we (that’s MLStudio and me) went back to using Walrus php (I told you, Walrus is an excellent choice when you need to keep it simple), and stuck with it for a while – which brings us to this morning when we’re finally ready to give the blog format a shot.
Currently, you’re on a site powered by WordPress with the Comicpress manager. I’ve modified it a bit (not too much, I’m really not code savvy at all) to fit my needs. There’s still quite a bit that needs doing, though. I’m working on the “extras”, “about” and “cast” sections, and I was not actually going to upload the site until those were ready. But then I thought “well, the current site doesn’t have those things anyway, so why not upload it now?”
And I did… as should be obvious if you’re reading this post.
So here it is, still needing plenty of work but otherwise quite functional. The whole archives are up and running, but I still have to name each and every single comic in it. You can navigate them by dates, at the moment. I’ll also be adding tags to each, so you can search the archives – for example – if you want all the comics with a specific character in them.
Other than that and some adspace, that’s pretty much it. I think. Feel free to email me about any bugs you might find. I think we’re having some problems with Internet Explorer (but then again, if you’re using IE, you’re the problem).
Anyway, I hope you all like the new layout and functionality. I know I do.